Nick Tullier, deputy wounded in 2016 ambush that killed three officers, dies after years of complications

Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr

Nick Tullier, a sheriff’s deputy who was injured during an ambush attack in Baton Rouge, Louisiana in 2016, has died.

Tullier, 47, was seriously injured six years ago and has been in the hospital ever since. In recent days his family said his health declined, and doctors weren’t sure how much time he had left.

His family announced his death Thursday morning on a Facebook page dedicated to updates on his condition.

Tullier was shot on July 17, 2016, two days after a Baton Rogue officer killed Alton Sterling. A gunman opened fire at a convenience store on Airline Highway in Baton Rouge, and within a span of 13 minutes, the gunman, who was armed with an assault rifle, shot six officers.

Three officers were killed in the ambush, and three other officers were wounded. The gunman was killed by a SWAT officer.

Tullier, who had been with the East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff’s Office for nearly two decades was given 24 hours to live.

But day after day he proved everyone wrong.

For the next six years he continued fighting for his life struggling to overcome complication after complication.

In November 2021, Tullier was admitted to a local hospital after experiencing abdominal issues. He received a CT scan which confirmed he had a blockage in his intestines, but later had to undergo an emergency surgery after an IV filled his arm with fluid.

The surgery for his intestines was delayed by a week, but doctors said the reality was it was difficult to completely fix the issue due to injuries he sustained during the shooting.

Despite the surgery, Tullier’s condition continued to decline as he was unable to eat and had to receive fluids and vitamins through an IV. He also stopped communicating with doctors, family, and friends.

A few days before his death, Tullier’s father shared a heartbreaking update.

He’s in the fight for his life again as he’s been over and over since he was shot. Doctors are saying there’s nothing else they can do other than what’s already being done. He’s swollen. His belly is distended. Bloodwork is showing no signs of improvement,” James Tullier said.

He added it was now a matter of “when” for his son.

On May 5, Tullier’s family announced he had died.

“I am heartbroken at the passing of a true hero, Cpl. Nick Tullier. Nick’s injury was a result of his selfless actions to courageously answer the call to protect and serve,” Sheriff Sid Gautreaux said in a statement.

“I have no doubt, that he was also greatly carried by the love, prayers and faith of his family, friends and colleagues. In watching Nick’s parents, James and Mary, nobly and lovingly dedicate their lives to Nick’s recovery, it is not hard to see how he grew to become such an honorable man.”

The mayor of Baton Rouge offered their condolences and has ordered all flags at half-staff.

My prayers go out to Nick Tullier’s friends, family, and colleagues.

Please share and join me in praying.